These suckers are incredible. So cakey-soft--almost crumbly--with tiny strands of healthy zucchini and melting, gooey chocolate chips. Good thing: I was able to trick my daughter into eating two of them before she said, "hey, there's something green in here..." I confessed, she shrugged and grabbed another. I have done something right.
"My way: slowly pulled apart (still very warm), with a swipe of butter and micro sprinkle of sea salt..."
Notes: Almond milk is unsweetened vanilla. Oil is grape seed.
CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
Ingredients: 1 zucchini, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 tbsp. baking powder, pinch of salt, 1 scant cup of sugar, 1 egg at room temperature, 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce, 1 scant cup almond milk, 6 tbsp. neutral oil, generous 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Makes 12 muffins.
1. Preheat oven to 400*, paper line and spray 12 muffin cups.
2. Grate zucchini then squeeze out excess moisture in a clean kitchen towel. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, salt and sugar.
4. In a separate bowl whisk egg, applesauce, almond milk and oil together.
5. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet, holding just a bit back. Mix until almost combined--you should see some residual flour crumbs. Fold in zucchini followed by chocolate chips.
6. Fill muffin cups to 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes until puffed, firm and lightly colored. Cool.
Tip: I made these dairy-free but you can totally use regular milk or any alternative milk you prefer.