Oh these are ridiculous. A super, cooler-weather dessert bar, for the chewy richness. I thought I would only eat one because, you know, the intensity and all that. Nope. Two. Then coffee. So many lovely things going on in this recipe to delight you. Think of a chewy warm oat cookie with melty chunks--big ones-- of chocolate and the sweet nutty flavor and texture of the oats melding with a hint of vanilla. Golden buttery edges too. Then add a toasty, salty pretzel to the mix. Sublime, big time. You'll love these.
"Need more? Double the recipe for a 9x13 pan."
Notes: Chocolate chunks are Nestle. Butter is unsalted.
CHOCOLATE & SALTED PRETZEL OAT COOKIE BARS
Ingredients: 1 stick butter-softened, generous packed 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, 2 tbsp. sugar, 1 egg at room temperature, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 scant cup flour, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks, mini salted pretzels-about 20.
Makes one 8x8 pan.
1. Preheat the oven to 375* and line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl beat the butter and sugars with a mixer until very smooth-about five minutes. Add the egg and vanilla, beat until fluffy.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to the wet ingredients, and mix until just combined.
4. Tip in the oats, mix. Tip in the chocolate chunks, mix. Spoon into the baking dish, pressing to even-out by using lightly damp fingers or a crumbled up ball of plastic wrap. Press in the pretzels. Chill for 30 minutes.
5. Bake for 15 minutes. Gently lift up the dish and let it fall onto the baking rack a couple times to remove air bubbles. Bake another 10 minutes, until golden and edges are firm. Cool before slicing.