When you want fresh, fast and tasty, these rolls should be on your list. They take about fifteen minutes to make from start to finish and about five minutes to eat. Make them as spicy as you like by adding extra garlic chili paste or red pepper flakes. I also think a massive dunk in peanut sauce is required. I have an easy recipe below but truly - to keep it even simpler - there is nothing wrong with buying a sauce you love.
"Leave off the shrimp and replace with small cucumber wheels if you want these vegetarian!"
Notes: Neutral oil is grape seed.
EASY PAPER ROLLS WITH SHRIMP
Ingredients: Asian rice paper sheets, 21-24 medium-sized cooked shrimp, 1 tbsp. neutral oil, 1 bag coleslaw mix, 1 large carrot, 1 cup frozen edamame, scant 1 tbsp. soy sauce, 2 tsp. rice vinegar, 2 tsp. sesame oil, 1/4 tsp. garlic chili paste, 1/4 tsp. garlic salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper. Spicy peanut sauce: 1/4 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup neutral oil, 1 tsp. soy sauce, 1 tsp. sesame oil, 2 tsp. rice vinegar, 1 tsp. honey, pinch red pepper flakes.
Makes 7-8 rolls.
1. Make dressing: Whisk all ingredients in a bowl until fully combined, set aside.
2. Heat neutral oil in a skillet pan over medium-high heat until glossy. Add coleslaw mix, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic-chili paste, garlic salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 3 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
4. Heat frozen edamame in a microwave safe bowl, with water to cover, for 2 1/2 minutes. Meanwhile, get on with peeling the carrot. Using a peeler make long ribbon-like strips (or grate on a box grater), pat dry and place in a bowl. Drain and pat dry the edamame, place in a bowl.
3. Set up your roll building station: Fill a large bowl or baking dish with a couple inches of warm water. Lay out rice paper sheets, shrimp, carrots, edamame, coleslaw mix.
4. Dip one sheet of rice paper into the water for 5-10 seconds, getting the edges wet, then lift out while most of the water drips off. Lay on your work surface to soften for 30 seconds.
5. Lay down on the center of the paper, 3 shrimp, the 3 tbsp. coleslaw mix, some carrots and edamame. Fold one side of the paper over, then both ends up. Fold over the other side. Done! Follow with the rest.
6. Serve immediately with peanut sauce and sesame seeds, if you like.