Updated: May 31
Ah, Rhubarb. A reward of spring. The flavor is its own, a cross between sour-tart and berry-sweetness. Make it your mission to buy it as soon as you see it in-season, or beg a friend for some out of their garden. This crisp came together wonderfully fast and made for a cozy breakfast with hot coffee and the whipped yogurt. But you can eat it anytime, obviously, either hot, at room temp., or chilled. You do you.
"The is a small amount of corn starch to help with thickening the sauce, if you don't have it, flour in the same quantity works, but you lose the gluten-free aspect."
Notes: Same amount of apple can be swapped for the strawberries.
GF RHUBARB CRISP + CINNAMON WHIPPED YOGURT
Ingredients: 3 cups chopped rhubarb, 1 cup chopped strawberries, 3 Tbsp. corn starch, 2/3 cup sugar. For the crisp: 1 generous cup rolled oats, 2/3 cup brown sugar, 2/3 cup melted butter, 2/3 cup almond flour, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. For the yogurt: 1 cup plain yogurt, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. powdered sugar.
1. Preheat oven to 350* and grease an 8-inch baking dish
2. Stir the rhubarb and strawberries with the corn starch and sugar in a bowl. Tip into the baking dish.
3. Make the crisp topping: Fork together the brown sugar, oats, almond flour and cinnamon until combined. Sprinkle over the rhubarb.
4. Bake for 45 minutes until golden and bubbling.
5. Meanwhile, whip the yogurt with the cinnamon and powdered sugar and place in the freezer until serving time.
Tip: If you prefer to serve as dessert, swap the yogurt for 1 cup of whipped cream. Use the same amount of cinnamon, up the powdered sugar to 1 Tbsp.