Take the standard up a notch (especially during the holidays or whenever you feel the urge.) I love my One Bowl Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, but I might love this more. Toasting walnuts gives an aromatic, almost smoked quality to their flavor, which means they compete (or balance) well against the chunks of semi-sweet chocolate. Cinnamon wafts in, and that tasty cozy sense of this is celebratory and special... This is a delicious cookie, not to be missed.
For interest, sprinkle with either coarse sugar, or flaky salt, depending on your preference.
Notes: Butter is unsalted.
ONE BOWL CINNAMON & TOASTED WALNUT CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES
Ingredients: 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) at room temperature, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, one egg at room temperature, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 sea salt, 1/2 cup broken walnuts, 1 cup chocolate chunks.
Makes about 16 3-inch cookies.
1. Toast the walnuts in a dry skillet pan over medium heat until colored and fragrant. Remove to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 350*F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
3. Beat the butter on medium-low with a stand or hand-held mixer. Slowly add the sugars and salt, scraping down the sides of the bowl until well combined. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until the batter is smooth.
4. Add flour, baking powder, and baking soda and mix well. Fold in the walnuts and chocolate chunks.
5. Scoop cookies onto the baking sheets placed well apart. Bake for 11 minutes, then remove. Immediately sprinkle with coarse sugar or salt. Allow cookies to continue baking on the sheet once removed for 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack.