PEACH CRUMBLE PIE
This pie is so good. Sweet peaches with a hint of tart and a custardy body that puffs up around them plus a thick layer of crumble. And a homemade crust. It's 'treat yourself' pie.
"So good served with whipped cream that has been swirled with cinnamon or a scoop of tart frozen yogurt!"
Notes: Butter is unsalted.
PEACH CRUMBLE PIE
Ingredients: 3 cups peach slices (fresh or frozen, thawed and drained), 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/8 tsp. salt, 2 eggs-beaten, 1 tsp. lemon juice, 1/2 cup sour cream, one 9-inch pie crust. For the crumble: 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup light brown sugar, 6 tbsp. melted butter, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon. Egg wash: 1 beaten egg with a tsp. of water or milk.
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Roll out homemade or store bought pie crust. Place into pie dish and crimp edges with fingers or fork. Place into refrigerator.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, flour and salt. Add the beaten eggs, lemon juice and sour cream, mix until smooth.
3. Prepare the crumble by forking together the flour, sugars and cinnamon. Add the melted butter slowly, mixing as you go- you might not need all of the butter to make the crumbs.
4. Remove the crust from the fridge and prick the bottom with a fork all over. Sprinkle over 2 tbsp. of crumble mixture.
5. Tumble in the peaches. Pour over the custard mixture until the liquid comes to 1/2 inch from the top of the pie dish- don't overfill!
6. Brush the crust edge with beaten egg wash. Bake for 50-55 minutes, until the top is golden and crisp and the center does not wobble. Remove to cool before cutting.
Tip: Check your crust at 45 minutes. If it looks too brown, add pie guards or rounded pieces of foil to protect the crust while it cooks the rest of the way.
Tip: If you don't have heavy cream or half and half, you can brush the crust with beaten egg.