Updated: May 31, 2020
They look like a work of art, truly. Don't you love a recipe that looks as good as it tastes? These babies are rich so you can cut them small for a crowd. A cold scoop of ice cream would be a nice idea as well.
"I also like almond butter in this recipe. Your choice!"
Notes: Peanut butter is Skippy, creamy.
PEANUT BUTTER ZEBRA BARS
Ingredients: 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup boiling water, 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter-melted, 1/2 neutral oil, 3 eggs at room temperature, 2 tsp. vanilla extract, 2 1/2 cups sugar, 1 3/4 cups flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 cup peanut butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350* and grease and line an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
2. Whisk the cocoa with the boiling water until dissolved in a large bowl. Whisk in the butter and oil. Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until smooth, then whisk in the sugar.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and salt, then add to the egg mixture. Switch to a spatula, mix until just combined.
4. Warm the peanut butter in the microwave for 30 seconds, stir in the powdered sugar.
5. Pour the chocolate batter into the baking dish. Drop the softened peanut butter by large spoonfuls on top. Using a knife, swirl the peanut butter into the chocolate batter.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
Tip: If you keep your peanut butter in the fridge, you will have to melt it for longer in the microwave. Go slow, it may take two or three 30-second increments.