Updated: Aug 26, 2020
Taquitos are one of my favorite Mexi-appetizers, mainly for the splintering soft crunch of the fried flour tortilla shell, and the subsequent dipping into guac and sour cream. I nearly made a batch of beef taquitos, but then thought, no, Heidi you need to think convenient...truly, I just didn't feel like doing the frying part. So, this dip was born. It makes for an excellent game-day appetizer or part of meal. So good!
This dip is made with crumbled beef, but if you want chicken, go for it!
Notes: Beef is grass-finished organic, 90% lean. Sour cream is Daisy.
Ingredients: 1/3-1/2 pound ground beef, 1/4 tsp. ground cumin, 1/2 tsp. chili powder, 1/4 tsp. onion powder, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper, 2 tbsp. salsa, 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup cheddar-jack cheese-shredded, 3 avocados, juice of 1 lime, 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, 1 tsp. minced garlic, 3 chopped green onions- white and green parts, 1/4 cup Cotija cheese, 1/2 tsp. chili lime seasoning, warmed flour tortilla chips
1. Brown the beef in a skillet over medium-high heat with the salsa, cumin, chili powder, onion and garlic powders. Salt and pepper to taste. Drain and set aside.
2. Make the guacamole: Halve the avocados and remove the stones, spoon flesh into a bowl. Add lime juice, tomatoes, green onion and garlic. Fork together to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Turn the oven on to 250* and give the chips about 7 minutes on a baking sheet.
3. Smooth sour cream over the bottom of a medium platter, or 8x8 dish. Sprinkle over the cheddar-jack cheese, then spoon over the beef.
4. Smooth the guacamole over the beef, then sprinkle on Cotija cheese. Follow with chili lime seasoning. Serve with warm chips.
Tip: To season the beef you can also use 1/4 packet of chili seasoning. Dip is great served immediately with beef still warm, but it is very good refrigerated as well, if you need to make in advance.