Updated: May 31
Not unlike banana bread, for it's low-sugar and dense texture that calls for a smear of cold cream cheese, butter, or jam, this bread is both bright and comforting with the pairing of sautéed apples and orange zest. It's also nuttingly rich with the addition of almond flour, #yummy.
“This is not a sicky-sweet uber-soft bread (cake), it's a weighty bread with the shadow of bright orange and studs of sweet reassuring apples that stands up to a thick spread- I'm thinking preserves or cold salted-butter. You could almost make it into a sandwich with sliced ham and provolone...”
Notes: Apple is Gala, but Fugi or Pink Lady would work well also.
Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 almond flour, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 large apple, 1/2 cup grape seed oil, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tsp. ground ginger, 1/4 tsp. salt, orange zest, orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Peel and chop the apple, then sautee over medium heat with a healthy splash of OJ for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, cool for 5 minutes.
2. Mix flours, baking soda, ginger, orange zest, and salt in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix oil and apples, the add the eggs-mix to combine.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients, and add wet apple mixture to the to dry. Fold to combine.
5. Pour into a greased loaf pan or dish (I like coconut oil spray by #Spectrum).
6. Bake for 50-55 minutes, until sides have pulled away and tester comes out clean.