Delish, super DELISH! Lasagna lovers, this version is incredible (hello crusty top) with a quick, homemade béchamel sauce in place of ricotta. Talk about luscious layers! Another plus is the no-boil noodles allowing you to skip a step. And the prep-to-oven time is less than thirty minutes, which is perfect during the week or on the weekend when you've got last minute guests. Enjoy!
If you don't have a skillet that is oven proof (cast iron), an 9x9 baking dish works great.
Notes: No-boil noodles are Barilla. Meatless Crumbles are Morning Star Farm.
CRUSTY-TOP SKILLET LASAGNA
Ingredients: 1 box no-boil lasagna noodles, 28 ounces red sauce, 1/4 cup water, 1 lb. meatless crumbles (or ground turkey or beef), 2 cups shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese, 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1 tsp. ground oregano, 3 tbsp. butter, 2 tbsp. flour, 3/4 cup milk, 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg, sea salt/pepper, fresh basil.
1. Preheat oven to 350* F and grease a 10 inch cast iron or oven-proof skillet.
2. Cook ground meat with a little salt and pepper until just done. Drain and add red sauce, oregano and water. Stir, turn down to low.
3. In a separate saucepan heat 2 tbsp. of butter over medium heat, add flour when melted and stir to make a chunky roux. Whisk in milk and nutmeg. Keep whisking until béchamel sauce is thickened and coating the back of a spoon. Stir in 1/4 cup parm and salt/pepper to taste. Set aside.
4. Add 1/4 cup sauce to bottom of skillet or baking dish. Lay noodles on bottom layer, breaking to fit. Spoon over 1/4 cup béchamel sauce, 1/2 cup red sauce, followed by 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers 2-3 times until only enough noodles are left for a final layer (some noodle boxes have 12, some 16). Final layer: Top with remaining sauce and mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove.
5. Carefully move a rack to the top position. Turn oven to broil. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan on top of lasagna. Add remaining butter cut into little pieces. Broil for 2 minutes- until top is crusty and browned. Scatter over fresh basil.