The universal magic of yeast + minimal effort on your part (no kneading) yields possibly the most scrumptious home-baked bread you have ever had- and all the work happens under the moon.
"This no-knead loaf with its crusty, yeasty shell and buoyantly soft middle will make you feel like a kitchen god. It's million-dollar bread. Memorize this recipe."
Notes: Yeast is active-dry, not rapid rise.
Ingredients: 3 cups all purpose flour, 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water, 2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. yeast
1. Before you go to bed: Combine yeast and water in a large bowl, swish a bit, then add flour and salt.
2. Mix together well, dough will be shaggy and sticky- that's perfect.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot, like in oven.
4. When you wake up (8-10 hours later): Preheat oven to 450*.
5. Place a dutch oven with a lid into the oven for 30 min.
6. Unwrap dough- it will be expanded, wet, and bubbly. Flour your hands very well and a surface. Gather the dough to "fall" out of the bowl onto the floured surface. Using your hands, make a basic ball shape, just gather the sides and wrap them underneath a couple times.
7. Place dough into hot dutch oven and bake covered for 30 minutes.
8. Remove lid and bake un-covered 15 minutes longer.
Tip: Try mixing in your favorite nuts or cheese!