OVERNIGHT CRUSTY ROLLS
A delicious riff on my overnight bread recipe- this time rolls. Slice them or pull them apart and do what you must to them, they will make you so happy. (You went to that fancy bakery didn't you?! 'Cept you didn't.)
Bonus: This recipe is gluten-lite.
I used everything bagel seasoning which was amazing. Need more ideas? Check out my flavor tips at the bottom of the page.
Notes: Yeast is Fleischmann's. GF flour is King Arthur.
OVERNIGHT CRUSTY ROLLS
Ingredients: 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup gluten-free flour, 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast, 1 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt, 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water, 2 tbsp. melted butter, everything bagel seasoning.
Makes 8 rolls.
1. Before you go to bed: Combine flours in a large bowl. Add salt to one side, yeast to the other. Pour in water. Mix the dough well, it will be shaggy and sticky--that's perfect. Cover the entire bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot, like in the oven.
2. When you wake up (10-12 hours later): Remove the bowl from the oven. Place a Dutch oven with a lid into the oven and preheat at 450* for 30 min.
3. Unwrap dough--it will be expanded, wet, and bubbly. Flour your hands and a surface. Gather the dough to "fall" out of the bowl onto the floured surface or better, onto a piece of parchment paper. Shape the dough into a basic ball shape. Cut the dough in half horizontally, then vertically making four equal portions. Cut each portion in half, so you have a total of eight dough pieces.
4. Flour your hands, then gently form rolls by gathering and pinching dough to the underneath to make a ball. They do not have to be perfect.
5. Brush top of the rolls with melted butter and sprinkle over everything bagel seasoning.
6. Open the oven and slide out the rack, remove the lid of Dutch oven, then place the dough balls still on the parchment paper into the Dutch oven. Just lift the whole thing up and plop each roll into the Dutch oven. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Alternatively--and for a crusty exterior (similar to french bread) scoop rolls and bake on a cookie sheet.
7. Remove lid and bake another 15-20 minutes until rolls are golden and hollow-sounding.
Tip: Try these other flavor variations:
After brushing with butter, sprinkle with paprika and grated Parm.
Brush with butter, then dip each roll in cinnamon-sugar.
Brush with a mixture of melted butter, garlic, and rosemary.
#Bread #crusty rolls #yeast #rolls #overnight