Updated: May 31, 2020
I grew up eating a lot of vegetables most other kids I knew, didn't. (artichoke & Turnips anyone?) Zucchini was a regular at my Maternal Grandmother's table, typically roasted with shaky parmesan cheese and paprika. (also good) Here, I've given the zuc some Southwestern flare, and paired it with black beans and rice. Such a satisfying meatless meal...
"If you are limiting dairy, skip the cheese. Otherwise pepper Jack cheese would be so good here too."
Notes: Zucchini is best purchased at the 6-7 inch length. As it grows, it loses flavor.
Ingredients: 2 zucchini, halved vertically, and horizontally. 1 cup frozen corn, 1 cup chopped bell pepper, 3 chopped green onions, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, chili flakes, Chili Lime seasoning, Mexi-blend cheese, shredded.
1. Scoop out the center of the zucchini pieces, making your "boats", try not to scoop past half-depth.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet pan over medium heat, then and add corn, peppers, and green onion. Cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle over chili flakes to taste.
3. Preheat oven to 425*. Lay zucchini on a cookie sheet, fill with corn mixture. Top with cheese.
4. Roast for 15 minutes, or until zucchini is slightly soft and cheese is melty and bubbling.
5. Serve with a scattering of shredded lettuce, and black beans and rice.
Tip: Smaller boats can be made as a terrific appetizer, use each zucchini to make 8 boats.