Cornbread has always been on my list of comfort foods, whether containing creamed corn, cheddar and jalapenos, or simply basic, smeared with butter and honey. This recipe, with the addition of aromatic spices, takes it from comforting to intoxicating. Once you smell the heady aroma wafting through your kitchen as this bakes, you won't want to make it any other way.
"Double the recipe for a 9x13 dish!"
Notes: Flour is all-purpose unbleached, butter is unsalted.
Ingredients: 1 cup fine-milled cornmeal, 1 cup flour, 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. baking powder, 4 Tbsp. sugar, big pinch of salt, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ground cloves, 1/4 tsp. ground ginger, 1 egg at room temperature, 1 cup warmed milk, 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp. almond extract.
1. Preheat oven to 425* and grease and line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper.
2. Whisk the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and dry spices together in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, milk, butter, and extracts.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet. Mix until smooth.
5. Pour batter into baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden. Remove and immediately smooth a nub of butter over the top and sprinkle with sugar. (opt.)