Such a fun and simple recipe--ideal for making with the little ones in your life. I had the idea to make brownies with my daughter from scratch and let her do most of it, then she pulled a box brownie mix out of the pantry and said, "let's change it up and do a special top," which ended up being ganache with cosmic sprinkles.
The resulting brownies were lusciously fudge-y and completely pretty--also gobbled up in a matter of minutes. Enjoy.
Using an 8x8 sized baking dish means thicker, denser brownies :)
Notes: Brownie mix is chocolate fudge, family size by Pillsbury.
BUTTERMILK GALACTIC BROWNIES
Ingredients: 1 chocolate fudge packaged brownie mix, 2 large eggs at room temperature, 2/3 cup neutral oil, scant 1/2 cup buttermilk. Ganache:1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, cosmic sprinkles.
Makes about 9 brownies.
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Paper line an 8x8 baking dish, spritz with cooking spray.
2. Beat eggs, oil and buttermilk in a large bowl. Add brownie mix and beat on low until fully combined and smooth, about 1 minute.
3. Pour batter into baking dish. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until tester comes out clean. Remove and cool completely.
4. Make ganache top: Tip chocolate chips into a bowl. Heat whipping cream over medium heat until just before the simmer-point. Pour hot cream over the chocolate chips and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
5. Whisk cream into melting chocolate until glossy and smooth. Pour over the brownies. Add cosmic sprinkles.
6. Refrigerate 2 hours to set, before serving.