Oh boy, don't miss this one. Good-for-you cauliflower gets sliced into steaks and roasted with buffalo mozzarella and sweet, vine-ripened tomatoes, Parmesan, olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. When it comes out golden and melty, you give it a rain of fresh chopped basil. You never knew you could eat a head of cauliflower, did you?
Notes: Olive oil is extra virgin.
CAPRESE MELT CAULIFLOWER
Ingredients: 1 medium head of cauliflower, olive oil, sea salt, pepper, 6-8 ounces buffalo mozzarella cheese, 1-2 vine-ripened tomatoes, 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, 3 tbsp. freshly chopped basil (or parsley).
1. Preheat and prep cauliflower: Preheat oven to 400* F. Line a large baking sheet or smaller ones with parchment paper or foil. Stand the cauliflower up on its stem, and slice straight down to create "steaks". Pat dry both sides, then lay the cauliflower on the baking sheet.
2. Season and layer: Drizzle cauliflower with olive oil, then season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Top with slices of mozzarella followed by slices of tomato. Season the tomato again, if you like. (For large cauliflower pieces, you might use two pieces of cheese and tomato.)
3. Cook: Roast for 25 minutes then remove from the oven. Top with freshly chopped basil and extra olive oil (if you like) before serving.
1. This cauliflower is done to al dente, meaning it still has a bite to it. If you want your cauliflower soft, roast it alone for 10 minutes (with olive oil, salt, and pepper) before proceeding with cheese and tomato. Then continue and cook as directed.
2. Extra savory and spicy flavor: Use garlic-infused olive oil instead of regular, and sprinkle with chili flakes when you season.