I have always called the fantastically easy overnight bread recipe that you bake off in a Dutch oven, moon bread. The bread looks like the moon when it comes out, crackled, cratered and creviced- perfect. Also, the dough does it's magic under the moon (while you sleep).
This version has wheat flour and honey and I think it is the one I like best. The wheat flour gives it rustic flavor and a lovely texture between your teeth. The honey is subtle, but there, like a kind shadow. Try it. You will love it!
"This bread is best stored on the counter away from heat, wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 4 days."
Notes: Yeast is active dry (not rapid rise!)
HONEY WHEAT MOON BREAD
Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 1/4 tsp. salt, 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water, 2 tbsp. honey, 1/2 tsp. yeast.
Makes one boule.
1. Before you go to bed: Combine flours in a large bowl. Add salt to one side, yeast to the other. Stir the honey with the water until it dissolves, pour into bowl.
2. Mix the dough well, it will be shaggy and sticky- that's perfect.
3. Cover the entire bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot, like in the oven.
4. When you wake up (10-12 hours later): Remove the bowl from the oven.
5. Place a Dutch oven with a lid into the oven and preheat at 450* for 30 min.
6. Unwrap dough- it will be expanded, wet, and bubbly. Flour your hands and a surface. Gather the dough to "fall" out of the bowl onto the floured surface or better, onto a piece of parchment paper. Shape the dough into a basic ball shape, it does not have to be perfect.
7. Open the oven and slide out the rack, remove the lid then place the dough into the Dutch oven, or lift it by the parchment paper and lower it (with the paper) into the Dutch oven. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
8. Remove lid and bake another 15 minutes. Remove bread to a board or rack to cool.