I want to say "I can't even" even though the phrase has had it's time, but. I can't even. Just wait until you to try this recipe. Think, everything that is wonderful, that you love, about a homemade jumbo soft pretzel, but take it to the tenth power....because, c h o c o l a t e.
Why did I wait so long to make these? I feel like the kitchen gods blessed this endeavor. These pretzels are just delicious.
"Bring the water to a boil with the baking soda. If you try to add it once boiling, you will have a foaming boil-over."
Notes: Oil is grape seed.
SOFT CHOCOLATE PRETZELS WITH CINNAMON-SUGAR
Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups warm water, 1 packet active dry yeast, 2 tbsp. sugar, 3 3/4 cups flour, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 scant tbsp. salt, 1 tsp. instant coffee granules, 2 tbsp. neutral oil, 1/3 cup baking soda, 1 beaten egg, 2 tbsp. melted butter, cinnamon-sugar (2 tbsp. sugar, 1 tbsp. cinnamon).
1. In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, pour in water, sugar and yeast. Wait 10 minutes for yeast to bloom.
2. In a separate bowl, add flour, salt and instant coffee. Sift or whisk in the cocoa powder.
3. Yeast mixture should look cloudy/foamy. Add oil followed by the flour mixture all at once. Mix together well (or use dough hook on stand mixer) until a dough is formed. Remove dough to separate bowl and cover with plastic wrap to rise for 1 hour.
4. Pat dough into disk. Cut into 8 equal portions. Roll each portion into a long snake, with the palms of your hands in the center of the snake, and pressing as you roll outwards. You can also gently pick up the ends to smack the snake onto the counter to help it stretch and get long. Once dough snake is 12 inches long, form into a pretzel: make a "u" shape while holding both ends, then wrap the ends around each other twice, attaching each end on the base of the "u". Set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 450*.
6. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil with the baking soda. Dip each pretzel in for 30 seconds on each side. Remove to parchment paper lined baking sheet then brush with beaten egg.
7. Bake pretzels for 10-15 minutes. Remove and brush with melted butter, sprinkle over cinnamon-sugar.