This is probably my ultimate autumn soup.
A golden, velvety blend of savory veggies that tastes both rich and nutritious at the same time. Don't you love comfort foods that are also good for you?!
"If you don't do dairy, replace the cream with full-fat coconut milk."
SUNFLOWER SQUASH SOUP
Ingredients: 1 butternut squash, one can of pumpkin puree, two carrots, one yellow onion, 2 tsp. minced garlic, 3 cups chicken broth, 2 tbsp. light brown sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg, 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream. Sunflower and pumpkin seeds for garnish.
1. Set the slow cooker to high. Slice butternut squash in half, discard seeds. Peel skin and chop roughly. Follow by peeling and chopping carrots and onion. Add all of it to the slow cooker.
2. Add in pumpkin, garlic, chicken broth, brown sugar, salt, pepper, thyme, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir and cook for 5-6 hours, until carrots are fork tender.
3. Using an immersion blender (or blend in batches in a regular blender), blitz until smooth.
4. Add in cream and blend again.
5. Serve with sunflower and pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top.
Tip: To make your life easy, buy an entire butternut squash pre-chopped.