So easy, so good. This version of the Italian favorite is really delicious and not too sweet. The cake, which stood in for lady fingers, soaked up every bit of strong coffee and Kahlua. I love a 'transport desserts...' those desserts that transport you to happy mental space or into a fantastic memory. The bonus is the simplicity of the recipe, which does not affect, in any way, the quality.
"I used Kahlua to spike the coffee but you can use rum, vodka, or Bailey's- all are good."
Notes: Cream cheese is Philadelphia.
Ingredients: 8 oz. softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar + 1 tbsp., 1/2 cup strong coffee 2 tbsp. Kahlua, 1/2 tsp. almond extract or 1 tbsp. almond liqueur, 8 oz. heavy whipping cream, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 tbsp. powdered sugar, 8 inch. single layer baked vanilla cake or 8 oz. pound cake, 2 tbsp. grated dark chocolate.
1. Cut cake into 15 or so pieces. Set aside.
2. Stir together coffee, Kahlua and 1 tbsp. sugar, set aside.
3. With a stand or hand mixer, whip cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar and almond extract until smooth.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the whipping cream with powdered sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
5. In the bottom of a glass bowl, trifle dish, or 8x8 baking dish, form a layer of cake with 1/3 of the pieces. Drizzle over 1/4 cup of coffee mixture. Follow with 1/3 cream. Repeat two more times ending with cream. Grate chocolate over.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 12 hours to 24 hours. Remove and serve.