Say that three times fast. All I can say is this cake is heavenly. Ultra-moist texture (thank you, banana) and good texture without clinging to your teeth since you'll grate the carrot finely and buy finely grated coconut. It makes a difference and helps kids to enjoy it too. The frosting is another level with a blend of cream cheese and buttercream, flavored with vanilla and coconut extracts and extra coconut pressed in on top. Just be warned, if you bring this cake to any get-together (spring brunch, Easter, etc.) you will be setting yourself up for a lifetime of requests.
Notes: Coconut is unsweetened. Butter is unsalted.
BANANA CARROT CAKE WITH COCONUT CREAM CHEESE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
Ingredients: 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. sea salt, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg, 1/2 cup melted and cooled butter, 2 large eggs at room temperature, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1 overripe banana, 1 tbsp. bourbon or rum, 2 cups finely grated carrot, 1/2 cup finely shredded coconut + extra for the top.
For the Coconut Cream Cheese Buttercream: 8 ounces room temperature cream cheese, 3 tbsp. unsalted softened butter, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 tsp. coconut extract, 4 1/2-5 cups powdered sugar, 1 cup finely shredded coconut.
Makes one 9-inch round cake.
1. Preheat the oven to 350* and butter or spray the cake pan, and line it with parchment paper.
2. Assemble cake ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, mash the banana and combine it well with the melted butter, eggs, brown sugar, and bourbon.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry: Stir or beat on low to combine. Fold in the grated carrot and 1/2 cup of shredded coconut. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 35 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Cool.
4. Make the frosting: Beat the cream cheese and butter together until very smooth. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time until the frosting is thick but smooth. Mix in the vanilla extract and coconut extract.
5. Frost the cake: Remove the cooled cake to a plate or cake stand. Put all of the frosting on top of the cake and spread evenly to the edges, do not frost the sides. Press in the remaining coconut on top. Store in the refrigerator.