What's better than carrot cake? Yep, carrot cake in donut form. This is my favorite carrot cake recipe, adjusted for a pan of six 3-inch donuts. So delicious and fun. The donuts are smaller, so you may need to double the batch for more than four people.
"If you like, add cinnamon to the frosting. Yum!"
Notes: Oil is grape seed. Butter is unsalted.
CARROT CAKE DONUTS
Ingredients: 1 cup flour, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. baking soda, 3/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, scant 1/2 cup neutral oil, 1/2 tbsp. rum or whiskey, 2 eggs at room temperature, 1 1/2 cups peeled and shredded carrots. Cream cheese glaze: 2 oz. softened cream cheese, 2 tbsp. softened butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. milk.
Makes six 3-inch donuts.
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Spritz a 3-inch donut pan or silicone mold with cooking spray.
2. Whisk first 4 ingredients together in a bowl. In separate large bowl, beat sugars and oil until smooth, then add eggs 1 at a time.
3. Add dry ingredients to wet, mixing well. Fold in rum and carrots until just combined. Spoon into donut cavities to 3/4 full.
4. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Tester should come out clean and sides of donuts should be pulling away. Cool completely.
5. Make cream cheese frosting by beating all ingredients together until smooth.
6. Frost donuts gently. Allow to set in refrigerator.
Tip: Chilling donuts in the freezer for 30 minutes or so will cut down on the crumbs that come through while you are frosting!