As yet, I have not attempted to make my own puff pastry. I would rather buy it. I have a lot of life to live and rolling a hundred layers of finicky dough with cold butter until it becomes its best self, is ideally left to machinery if not French pastry chefs.
So, I buy puff pastry and do a number of things to it. Do I feel smug when it turns out perfect every time knowing that I didn't really make it from scratch? Yes, pretty much I do.
"Puff pastry makes you look like a wizard. A kitchen wizard. The next time you are required to bring something to a get together but don't have much time, puff pastry is your go-to."
Notes: Puff pastry needs to be thawed before using. At room temperature, an hour or so. In the fridge it might take closer to 4 hours.
CHEATER'S PASTRY: CHOCOLATE TRIANGLES & PARMESAN TWISTS
Ingredients: Bars: 1 sheet puff pastry (box comes with 2), 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, 1/2 tsp. oregano, cracked pepper, 1 Tbsp. very soft butter, 1 Tbsp. egg white, 1/3 cup chocolate chips.
Makes 8 twists and 8 triangles (or 16 each if you use both pastry sheets)
1. Preheat the oven to 400* and parchment-line 2 baking sheets
2. Roll out 1 sheet of pastry just a little, keeping the rectangular shape, and roll on the paper provided with the pastry. Use a pizza cutter if you have one, and cut horizontally in half. Your left piece will be for the triangles, the right, for the twists.
3. Cut the twists: Make 8 strips, working from the center out, to ensure even cutting. Cut the squares: Using the rule of halves, cut into 8 squares. Don't worry if they are not perfect squares.
4. Mix the parmesan cheese, pepper and oregano in a baking dish. Brush butter over the twists. Take a strip without stretching too much, and dip into the parmesan lightly pressing to stick. Holding each end of the strip, twist a few times in opposite directions. Place on sheet. Follow with the rest of the strips.
5. For the triangles, brush egg white or use your finger to paint a perimeter around the square's edge. Add 8 or so chocolate chips to the center and close, bringing the points together to form a triangle. Crimp edges with a fork. Follow making the rest.
6. Bake the pastry for 15-20 minutes.Cool.
Tip: White chocolate chips and a raspberry would be great for the triangles. Try garlic salt and cheddar for the twists.