Yup. This is real. I couldn't make just basic bread pudding tonight! I had a dream that I ate three bowls of the popular cereal, so couldn't very well let it go without doing something about it. This bread pudding is everything I wanted it to be. Crusty, soft, sweet, cinnamon-y and just the right amount of cereal crunch to make me remember. Plus a glossy drizzle of cinna-bun icing...it had to be done.
"Another option instead of the Cinn-bun icing is quick glaze-y dribble made from maple syrup and powdered sugar- really yummy!"
Notes: Milk is 2%.
CINNAMON TOAST CRUNCH BREAD PUDDING
Ingredients: 5 cups day old bread- cubed, 3 eggs at room temperature, 2 cups milk, 1/2 cup half and half, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 cup cinnamon toast crunch cereal, 3 tbsp. melted butter. Cinna-bun Icing: 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 tbsp. cream cheese 1-2 tbsp. milk, 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, pinch of salt.
1. Preheat oven to 375*. Spritz an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Tip bread into the baking dish.
3. In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, half and half, vanilla, sugar and cinnamon, well. Pour over the bread and press down to help bread absorb it.
3. Place cereal in a zip bag, and bash with a rolling or wine bottle. Sprinkle over the bread. Drizzle with melted butter.
4. Bake for 40 minutes uncovered, then place a sheet of foil over. Bake for 15 more minutes, until golden, bubbly, and cooked through. Remove to cool.
5. Make Icing: Stir ingredients together, adding the milk last, until icing reaches drizzly consistency. Serve on the side of the bread pudding or drizzle over before cutting.
Tip: Feel free to make this dairy-free by using unsweetened vanilla almond milk instead of regular milk.