Who says you can't have a peach pie out of peach season? Not this girl. Frozen peaches work beautifully...and I just so happened to have some cut and frozen leftover from a summer bounty (peach-pie-in-winter, mindful).
This pie is made in a seven-inch deep dish pie plate, so it still uses a 9-inch single pie crust. The buttery, sugary streusel topping filled with nubs of shaved almonds is delightful, while the peaches underneath bake in a cakey body of sour cream, eggs and sugar. Think of it like a clafoutis in pie crust, with streusel crumbs on top. Delicious!
Homemade cinnamon whipped cream is a dream with this. Whip 1 cup heavy whipping cream with 2 tbsp. powdered sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon until you have firm peaks. Keep in the fridge until serving.
Notes: Brown sugar is light.
DEEP DISH PEACHY ALMOND STREUSEL PIE
Ingredients: 1 single 9-inch pie crust, 2 1/2 cups frozen peaches-thawed and drained, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 egg, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract. For the streusel: 1/4 cup melted butter, 2/3-3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 2/3 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon, pinch of sea salt, 1/3 cup roughly chopped shaved almonds.
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Prep pie crust (roll and chill etc.) then place into pie dish. Crimp edges, then prick the base with a fork. Chill in the fridge.
2. Make the streusel: Heat butter in the microwave until just melted, about 30 seconds. Stir in 2/3 cup flour, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. The mixture should be thick and crumbly. If you need to add more flour, do. Stir in almonds.
3. Sprinkle 2 tbsp. of the streusel mixture over the base of the crust. Add peaches over top in an even layer.
4. In a bowl, whisk together egg, sour cream, vanilla and granulated sugar. Pour over peaches. Top with the rest of the streusel.
5. Brush the edge of the crust with cream, half&half, or a beaten egg. Bake for 55-60 minutes, until the center is set. Remove to cool.