You read it right. This one's for the coffee fanatics who might suffer a brain aneurysm if they were made to choose between chocolate and coffee (me). Fudgy brownies, in the texture you love, kissed by coffee and studded with chocolate chunks. One half of the slab of brownie gets sandwiched on top of the other with a pillow of chocolate cream cheese frosting between, and more swathed on top. Chopped chocolate covered espresso beans, because why not, dot the top.
Epic brownies, not meant for two year-olds.
Whole foods, Trader Joe's, Starbuck's, and some upscale grocers carry chocolate covered espresso beans.
Notes: Butter is unsalted.
DOUBLE DECKER MOCHACCINO BROWNIES
Ingredients: 4 eggs at room temperature, 1 cup + 2 tbsp. Dutch-process cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. instant coffee granules, 2 tbsp. brewed coffee, 2 tsp. vanilla extract, 2 1/4 cups sugar, 1 cup butter (2 sticks), 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks. For the frosting: 8 oz. softened cream cheese, 1 cup melted semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 cup chocolate covered espresso beans-chopped.
Makes 12, 2 1/2-inch stacked brownies.
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with parchment paper in one direction then spritz with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, crack all the eggs and add vanilla, salt, cocoa powder, instant coffee and baking powder, beating until smooth--about 2 minutes.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the sugar and continue stirring until dissolved into the butter and mixture is shiny.
4. Add butter mixture to egg mixture, slowly, stirring until smooth. Add flour and coffee and stir until just combined. Fold in chocolate chunks.
5. Spoon batter into baking dish and bake for 28-30 minutes, until sides are set and center is cooked, but moist-looking. Remove to cool.
6. Make Frosting: Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and melted chocolate chips, continuing to beat until smooth.
7. When brownies are cool, remove from dish by lifting out still on the parchment paper to a cutting board. Cut the entire brownie slab in half down the center to make two smaller squarish rectangles. Frost one side and place the other half directly on top. Frost the top of that one as well. Scatter over chopped espresso beans. Store in refrigerator up to 4 days.
Tip: Melt chocolate chips easily by placing in a microwave-safe bowl and setting at half-power in 30-second increments. This ensures no seizing and perfectly melted chocolate. Stir between each interval- it will take 3-4.