Updated: 42 minutes ago
I want to say, "I'll just leave this here", but cliched catchphrases are so social media-ish, am I right?
I have always been a waffle girl instead of a pancake girl, mainly because I am not a fan of sogginess. A perfect pancake bite that pretends it will behave, but then gives up and collapses onto the plate is just frustrating . Sturdy, strong, waffles can hack the butter, syrup, fruit, and anything I pile on, bite after enduring bite.
So, yeah, this waffle recipe is delicious. The scarlet red berry compote makes it feel special and it also gives you gourmet taste that you didn't pay through the nose for. A very good breakfast or surprising dessert.
"I never serve waffles without heated syrup. Call me snooty, but cold syrup on hot waffles is like a lukewarm bath, utterly disappointing."
Notes: Butter is unsalted.
FRENCH VANILLA WAFFLES W/ RED BERRY COMPOTE
Ingredients: 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 2 generous tbsp. sugar, 4 eggs- separated, 4 tbsp. melted butter, 2 cups milk, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt. Red Berry Compote: 1 cup diced strawberries, 1/2 cup raspberries, 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, 1 tbsp. orange juice or orange liqueur.
Makes 6-8 waffles.
1. Preheat waffle iron and make the compote: Heat the berries, sugar and orange juice in a small saucepan over medium heat, until berries have broken down slightly and released their juices, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whip egg yolks with the sugar until pale and smooth. Add vanilla, yogurt, milk and melted butter and whisk until combined. Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour in the wet, and stir until just combined.
4. Beat egg whites with a hand mixer until soft peaks form, about 1 minute. Fold into the batter using a spatula.
5. Spritz waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour over waffle batter to cover one side of the grid, close and cook 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately with butter, maple syrup, and compote.