Updated: Mar 19
We eat a lot of broccoli in this house, as we were told by a cancer doctor that it has major anti-cancer properties. (Buy it as blue as possible!) So I'm always looking for ways to sneak it into typical kid-food. I would say tater tots fit that category, but my husband eats them almost more enthusiastically than the kiddos. And, of course, cheddar cheese with broccoli is obligatory. These are surprisingly delicious, and for more flavorful than plain tots.
"Mayo sprinkled with everything bagel seasoning was my favorite 'dip', but Sriracha or ketchup are delicious too."
Notes: Broccoli florets are cut from a fresh head. Breadcrumbs are seasoned.
HOMEMADE BROCCOLI CHEDDAR TOTS
Ingredients: 2 medium russet potatoes, 2 cups broccoli florets, 1 beaten egg, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1/4 tsp. onion powder, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder.
1. Peel and chop potatoes into cubes. Place in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to boil, turn down to simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Add broccoli florets to the potato water. Cover and cook until tender, about 7 minutes.
3. Remove the broccoli with a slotted spoon into a food processor, pulse until broken down to the size of peas. (Or chop up on a board). Place into a large bowl with potatoes. Mash to combine.
3. Add egg, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders, folding in well. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes. Remove and stir in cheddar cheese.
4. Preheat oven to 400* and line a large baking sheet (or 2 medium sheets) with parchment paper.
5. Take 1 1/2 tsp. of potato mixture into your hand and roll into a ball. Then gently roll on a flat surface to form a barrel shape. Flatten the ends to make your "tot". Place on baking sheet. Fill the baking sheet, you can place them rather close together.
6. Bake for 15 minutes on one side, then turn over and bake another 10-15 minutes until golden and firm. Serve immediately.
Tip: Make ahead and freeze: Cook for only 5 minutes per side before cooling at room temperature for 30 minutes. Place tots into a freezer bag. Bake from frozen at 425* for 15-20 minutes, turning half-way through.