Updated: Oct 21
Hot, melty, saucy, cheesy- what more can you ask for in a grilled sandwich?
"I aim for a good high-low most days, whether it be in fashion, activity, or food. This turned-up grilled cheese is a great example-and it works so well, just delicious."
Notes: Bread is Ezekiel. Sauce jarred, roasterd garlic marinara.
Italian Eggy Grilled Cheese
Ingredients: Sliced bread, egg-white flop*, warmed marinara sauce, shredded Parmesan, Mozzarella and Asiago cheeses, oregano, parsley.
1. Add a few teaspoons of salted butter to a griddle or non-stick frying pan, heat to medium.
2. Meanwhile, assemble sandwich by placing cheese one side, then lay the folded egg flop down and sprinkle over oregano and parsely (dried or fresh-whatever you've got on hand).
3. Add a small spoon-full or two of marinara sauce on top of the egg.
5. Add more cheese on top of the sauce, place you second piece of bread as the lid.
6. Fry the sandwich on both sides, adding more butter if necessary.
7. Use extra marinara for dipping.
Tip: Sandwich may be cut into strips- makes a great appetizer or party snack!
* An egg-flop is a quick egg-white fold over made in an olive oil-greased pan, cooked until done, then flopped over to make a semi-circle. If thin enough, the flop can be folded over once more, or rolled.