EGGLESS BOURBON & WALNUT STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE
I know what you're thinking. I thought it too. How can a coffee cake come out (decently) fluffy and soft and rise with air pockets without eggs? Eggs are a must as far as cake goes unless you want a short and dense apparent vegan number. I was a skeptic until I wasn't. This recipe has moved me into the camp of no-eggs (for coffee cake, at least), no problem. And actually, I like it better this way. It's scrumptious bouncy, and soft, perfect anytime you want it.
Don't stress-buy bourbon just for this recipe unless you usually keep some on hand. You can easily sub whiskey, rum, or brandy, and it will still taste amazing.
Notes: Neutral oil is organic canola. Sour cream is full-fat. Bourbon is Woodford Reserve.
EGGLESS BOURBON & WALNUT STREUSEL
Ingredients: 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup half & half, 1/3 cup neutral oil, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tbsp. bourbon, 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1/4 tsp. sea salt. For the Walnut Streusel: 1 cup chopped walnuts, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 4 tbsp. melted (unsalted) butter and a pinch of sea salt. For the Icing: 1/3 cup powdered sugar, 1-2 tbsp. Bourbon.
Makes one 8x8 cake.
1. Preheat oven to 350* and line an 8x8 square baking dish with parchment, then spritz with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, half & half, oil, sugar, and bourbon.
3. In a separate bowl (or in a sieve) combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk, then add to the wet ingredients (or sift it in). Fold to combine, keeping as much air in the batter as possible.
4. Make the streusel by combining the chopped walnuts, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the melted butter.
5. Spread half of the cake batter over the bottom of the dish. An angled icing spatula works well, or the back of a spoon. Don't worry if it's not perfect; it will spread as it bakes. Add half the streusel over the batter, then press it lightly to adhere. Finish with the final layer of batter, smoothing to the edges as best you can, followed by the rest of the streusel.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden and bouncy. Remove to cool. Make the icing by stirring the powdered sugar and bourbon together. Add the bourbon a little at a time until you reach a drizzling consistency, but the icing is not overly wet.
7. Carefully lift the cake out of the dish after loosening the edges, using the parchment paper as handles. Slice, then drizzle with the icing. Alternatively, keep the cake in the dish, cut it into pieces, then drizzle the icing.
#eggless bourbon & walnut streusel coffee cake #eggless streusel coffee cake recipe #eggless coffee cake #eggless walnut streusel coffee cake recipe #bourbon and walnut streusel coffee cake with no eggs