Ever made a savory muffin?
They are just the best, a nice tilt from a fruit or corn muffin as a side item. These babies are cakey and tart with a hint of garlic, shards of sharp cheddar and fiery hits of jalapeño throughout. We smeared them with salted butter or softened cream cheese (that was me), so many 'oohs' around the table. Slick recipe! These muffins would be great with chili, for brunch, or at your Thanksgiving table rather than basic rolls.
"I snipped some chives from my garden over top- you could do that or use something else green like parsley. Cilantro would be terrific."
Notes: Oil is grapeseed. Garlic salt is Lawry's.
Jalapeño + Sharp Cheddar Sour Cream Muffins
Ingredients: 2 cups flour, 1 tbsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. garlic salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 eggs at room temperature, 6 tbsp. neutral oil, 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 1 large jalapeno-seeded and minced, 2 tbsp. snipped chives.
Makes 12 muffins.
1. Preheat oven to 400* and grease a standard muffin tin.
2. Whisk the flours, baking powder, garlic salt and pepper in a large bowl.
3. In a separate microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the milk and sour cream. Warm in the micro for 25 seconds. Whisk in the eggs and oil.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet. Stir to combine. Fold in the cheese and jalapeño, reserving a little bit of cheese for the top of the muffins.
5. Spoon batter into muffin cups to about 3/4 full. Sprinkle over some cheese and the chives.
5. Bake for 20 minutes on the middle rack in the oven until golden and well risen.