Supremely fluffy and soft, and lemony, with gorgeous, warm blueberries in every bite. The sour cream provides the unctuousness that gives these muffins a bouncy, pliable texture without using eggs! And did I languidly butter the tops of the still-warm muffins and dust them with minted lemon sugar? You bet—special muffins, especially for you.
LEMON & BLUEBERRY SOUR CREAM MUFFINS
Ingredients: 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup half & half, 1/3 cup neutral oil, 1/2 cup sugar, zest and juice of 1 lemon, 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1/4 tsp. sea salt, 1 cup blueberries + 1 tsp. flour, and 2 tbsp. melted butter. For the lemon mint sugar: 2 tbsp. sugar, 1 tbsp. lemon zest, 1 tbsp. chopped mint.
Makes 12 muffins.
1. Preheat oven to 400* and spritz a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray (or use paper liners). Make the lemon mint sugar by stirring the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, half & half, oil, and sugar.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk, then add it to the wet ingredients (or use a sieve to sift it in). Fold the dry ingredients into the wet to combine, keeping as much air in the batter as possible. Fold in the lemon zest and lemon juice.
4. Shake the berries gently with 1 tsp. of flour. Add them to the batter, and fold them in. Spoon the batter into the cups to 2/3 full. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until risen and bouncy, and golden.
5. While the muffins are warm, brush them with melted butter—dust liberally with the lemon mint sugar.