Eric and I both agreed it might be one of the best blended soups I've made. We ate it very fast, then had seconds while we dreamed of leftovers. The texture is smooth and velvety, the flavor is lemon-centric with the sweet and nutty flavor of roasted garlic. The coconut milk is subtly there, and the peas and broccoli, quite a bit less-so. Though we didn't complain. I made pumpkernickle brown butter croutons (delish and easy) for the top and finished with a scattering of fresh chopped mint. Happy, delicious results.
*Recipe is easily vegan/DF by swapping the chicken broth for vegetable broth and the butter for ghee.
Use any bread you like for the croutons.
Notes: Olive oil is extra-virgin. Butter is unsalted.
LEMON + ROASTED GARLIC BROCCOLI & PEA SOUP
Ingredients: 1 head of garlic, 1 medium yellow onion, 2 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. sea salt, 1 tsp. pepper, 1 peeled and chopped yellow potato, 2 cups frozen peas, 12 ounces broccoli florets (fresh or frozen), 4 cups chicken broth, juice of 1 lemon, 1/4 cup coconut milk and 2 tbsp. chopped mint. For the brown butter croutons: 2 cups cubed bread, 2 tbsp. butter, 1/2 tsp. paprika, and a pinch eac of salt and pepper.
1. Preheat oven to 400*F. Peel the outer skin off of the head of garlic, then cut off the tips of the cloves. Drizzle with a little olive oil, then wrap in foil. Roast in the oven for 35 minutes. Remove to cool.
2. Meanwhile, start the soup by heating 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat until glossy. Add the chopped onion, sea salt, and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes until the onion is browned and soft.
3. Add in the chopped potato, peas, broccoli, and broth. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer on medium-low for 20 minutes, or until the potato and broccoli are tender. Blend with an immersion blender (or in batches in a stand blender) until smooth.
4. Remove the garlic from the foil and squeeze the cloves into the soup. Blend again. Stir in the coconut milk followed by the lemon juice. Taste for seasoning. Turn the heat to low.
5. Make the crouton by heating the butter in a skillet pan over medium heat. Keep an eye on the pan, swirling the melted butter ever so often until it turns brown. Add the bread cubes, salt, pepper, and paprika. Stir and cook until cubes are toasted, about 10 minutes.
6. Serve the soup with croutons and fresh mint sprinkled on top.