Updated: Sep 29
I love, love regular mashed potatoes, but I admit they are lacking in the flavor department until enough butter, milk and salt is added to give them some pep. Not so with sweet potatoes! They have all the natural flavor. And while I will eat the ones with marshmallows on top if offered to me, I prefer them simply mashed and glistened with melted butter spiked with cinnamon and a few scattered toasted pecan pieces. Easy recipe, luscious results.
"It's hard to resist something so velvety-delicious and pretty!"
Notes: Butter is unsalted. Milk is 2%.
MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH CINNAMON-SUGAR BUTTER & PECANS
Ingredients: 3 large sweet potatoes, 3 tbsp. butter, 1/3 cup milk at room temperature, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg, 1/4 cup pecan pieces. Cinnamon-Sugar Butter: 2 tbsp. butter, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 2 tsp. brown sugar.
Serves 4, recipe easily doubled.
1. Cook the potatoes, choose your method:
Bake and scrape: To bake, prick each potato with a fork, wrap in foil, and bake for 35-40 minutes in a 375* oven. Cool slightly before scraping flesh into a medium saucepan.
Peel/chop/boil: Peel potatoes, chop into cubes, then cover with water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Turn down to low boil for 20 minutes, or until fork-tender then drain. Place back in saucepan.
2. Mash potatoes over low heat with a masher or use potato ricer. Melt 3 tbsp. butter on half power in the microwave for 1 minute or until just melted, stir in the milk. Add to the potatoes and continue mashing and stirring until mostly smooth. (Hint: they will not get baby-food smooth)
3. Season potatoes with salt and nutmeg. Taste for seasoning, you may want more salt. When you are happy with the flavor, spoon into a serving dish and make a few swirls on top.
4. Toast pecan pieces in a dry skillet pan over low heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Set aside. Melt 2 tbsp. butter at half power in the microwave for 30-45 seconds or until melted. Stir in the cinnamon and brown sugar.
5. Spoon the warm cinnamon butter into the swirls on top of the mashed potatoes. Add pecans. Serve.