100% Fancy-schmancy but easy-peasy. Promise. This is the perfect recipe for guests or the holidays, or any meal that you want to be extra special. Minimal ingredients and tasty flavor make for a buttery pastry-wrapped piece of flaky salmon in a light yet creamy spinach, herb, and mustard sauce. Make as many as you need; the recipe is easily doubled or quadrupled, etc.
Ingredients: two 4-6 ounce salmon filets, 1 cup chopped spinach, 1 tbsp. olive oil, zest of 1/2 lemon, 1/2 tsp. minced garlic, 2 tbsp. grainy mustard, 1 tbsp. mayonnaise, 1/4 tsp. dried basil, 1/4 tsp. dried dill, sea salt, one beaten egg, and one sheet of puff pastry.
1. Preheat the oven to 375* F. Line a baking sheet for easy cleanup with parchment paper.
2. Heat the oil in a skillet pan over medium heat until glossy. Add the chopped spinach, garlic, and lemon zest. Cook for 2-3 minutes until spinach is wilted but still bright green. Remove from heat.
3. Make the sauce by stirring the mayonnaise, mustard, dried dill, and basil together.
4. Pat each salmon filet dry. Sprinkle with sea salt to taste. Spread with the sauce, splitting it between the two pieces, then follow with the spinach.
5. Make sure the puff pastry is thawed according to the package instructions. Roll out into a larger rectangle, about 12 inches in length (or enough so when sliced in half horizontally, both pieces of salmon will fit on its piece of pastry). Place the salmon face down in the center of the puff pastry piece. Fold up one side and brush the edge with beaten egg so the other side sticks. Place each pastry parcel seam-side down on the prepared baking sheet.
6. Brush the pastry tops with beaten egg, then make some slits for air vents in the top. Bake for 40 minutes. Serve immediately.
This recipe is most excellent with salmon that has the skin removed. Your fishmonger can do that for you, or you can buy it that way. Or you can carefully and gently peel off the skin yourself.
Don't worry if a little sauce and spinach leak out of the slits on the top. It looks pretty and tells people what is inside.
#salmon wellington #salmon wellington recipe #recipe for salmon wellington #simple salmon wellington