I love easy effort with big rewards. This recipe is exactly that. Feel free to make your own puff pastry if that is your thing, but I certainly won't knock you if you buy it. I always buy it. I am not a French pastry chef. You can also play around with ingredients here, like switching up the meat or using only egg and different cheeses. I love how each bite shatters into buttery flakes and fills your house with the smell of savory coziness. This one goes on repeat.
"You can find puff pastry in your grocer's frozen section, it's usually near the pies and frozen fruit."
Notes: Salami is Columbus brand. Mushroom Umami seasoning is Trader Joe's.
PEPPERED SALAMI & EGG BREAKFAST PUFF
Ingredients: 1 sheet thawed puff pastry, 2 eggs-lightly beaten, 6-8 pieces of peppered salami, 1/4 tsp. mushroom umami seasoning, 1 cup shredded Gruyere/Swiss cheese blend, pepper, fresh thyme.
1. Preheat the oven to 425* and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Lightly roll out the puff pastry to smooth the folding creases, into a rough rectangle. Fold 1-inch of a lip up all the way around to form a border.
3. Sprinkle the cheese on the pastry. Roll up the salami pieces 3 at a time like a cigar and slice finely to "julienne" them. Add over the cheese.
4. Brush some of the beaten egg around the border of the puff pastry. Then pour the rest of the egg over the top of the cheese and salami. Season with pepper and mushroom umami. Add some fresh thyme leaves.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden and puffed. Remove and slice, serve immediately. The puff will deflate once you start cutting- that is OK!