Updated: May 31, 2020
Soft, chewy, and chocolate-y moist with a thin crispy top that cracks when you cut it. I should have named these 24-hour Brownies because that is how long they last before they are gobbled up. this is the classic brownie we grew up on with the addition of chocolate chips inside. The only thing that's missing is the box.
"I only want my brownies this way, and I get it that some people prefer a cakey-dense version, or filled with walnuts, and that's cool. Follow this recipe for the classic soft and crumbly brownies with a crackle-top...they don't last!"
Notes: Chocolate chips are semi-sweet. Feel free to use chocolate chunks.
SCRATCH BOX BROWNIES
Ingredients: 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. boiling water, 4 Tbsp. melted butter, 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. neutral oil, 2 eggs, 2 egg yolks, 2 tsp. vanilla, 2 1/2 cups sugar, 1 3/4 cups flour, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Grease and line an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
2. Whisk cocoa powder with boiling water until dissolved. Add chocolate chips and stir just long enough for them to melt slightly.
3. Whisk in butter and oil. Add eggs, yolks and vanilla- whisk until smooth.
4. Whisk in sugar well, then the flour and salt until just combined.
5. Pour into baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes, until firm on top but not overly shrinking from the sides. Cool before cutting.
Tip: If the top seems to be over-baking but the center isn't done, lay a piece of foil over.