SPATCHCOCKED GRILLED CHICKEN WITH SPICY CILANTRO CREMA
Don't be afraid; spatchcocking is no 'biggie'.
As long as you have a decently sharp pair of kitchen shears, using this method for cooking chicken is simple. As simple as cutting the backbone out to flatten it. You'll love how you get the best of both worlds; the skin is exceptionally crisp and blackened, and the meat is soft and juicy. Score.
If you can't find creme fraiche, use sour cream or Greek yogurt.
SPATCHCOCKED GRILLED CHICKEN
WITH SPICY CILANTRO CREMA
Ingredients: one 5-lb. whole chicken, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tbsp. paprika, 1 tbsp. sea salt, 1 tbsp. pepper, 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tbsp. ground oregano. For the crema: 1 cup creme fraiche, juice of 1 lime, 1 tsp. minced garlic, 1/2 tsp. sea salt, 1/2 jalapeno pepper.
1. Preheat the grill to high.
2. Prepare the chicken by patting it dry and removing the giblets, if applicable. Place it breast side down on a cutting board. Using sharp kitchen shears, beginning at the back of the neck, cut down both sides of the backbone. Remove the backbone and open up the chicken. Flip the chicken over and press firmly in the center of the breast to break the breastbone and flatten.
2. Drizzle both sides of the chicken with olive oil. Stir together paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and ground oregano. Massage the spice blend into both sides of the chicken.
3. Place chicken breast-side down onto the grill. Grill for 4-5 minutes, until skin, is very browned and crispy- parts will be blackened. Carefully turn the chicken over and turn the heat to low. Grill for 40 minutes, or until the center temperature is 160*F.
4. Remove chicken carefully (it may split down the center, don't worry if it does) to a platter and tent with foil. The residual heat will get it to 165*F.
5. Meanwhile, make the Spicy Cilantro Crema: blitz all ingredients together in a food processor or blender until very smooth. Serve with the chicken.
Tip: No grill? Roast it. Lay it on a rack over a foil-covered baking sheet and cook for 35-45 minutes at 425*F.
#spatchcocked grilled chicken #spatchcocked grilled chicken with spicy cilantro crema #spatchcocked chicken recipe #spatchcock chicken