I had you at boozy. Ha! But seriously, eggnog definitely pops with a little rum- I distinctly remember my parents making "homemade" eggnog for themselves while the kids got separate eggnog. I may or may not of snuck into the living room with my sis to the "adults only" punch bowl so we could try the fancy version a time or two. It's funny, but even as children we could totally tell their eggnog tasted better- deeper, smokier, nuttier.
This is a simple recipe- you don't need to make a custard base first. It comes out creamy and dreamy and perfect.
"The extra sprinkle of nutmeg is key!"
Notes: Eggnog brand is Southern Comfort.
BOOZY EGGNOG ICE CREAM
Ingredients: 2 cups eggnog, 1 cup half & half, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, pinch of salt, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 3 tbsp. golden rum.
Makes about 4 cups.
1. Freeze ice cream maker base according to manufacturer's instructions.
2. Whisk together eggnog and powdered sugar in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in vanilla, nutmeg and salt.
3. Add half & half and rum, stir to combine. Pour into ice cream maker and process for 20 minutes, OR using a mixer, beat the mixture until it forms soft peaks.
4. Remove ice cream to freezer-safe container and cover with plastic wrap.
5. Freeze: If using ice cream maker, freeze for 2 hours before serving. For no-churn, freeze for 6-8 hours before serving.