Updated: May 31
Many ways to roast to chicken. This is one of my hands-down favorites. We always have whiskey in the house and butter, so this is my go-to. Sweet, smoky, savory--try it. You might never go back to grabbing a pre-made spinning chicken at the supermarket again.
"This chicken is delightful. Pair with mashed potatoes, brown rice, and/or a fresh salad, and don't forget a glass of crisp white wine..."
Notes: Bourbon is Knob Creek. Roasting time for chicken by weight is 15 minutes per pound, plus an extra 5-10 minutes.
BROWN BUTTER BOURBON CHICKEN
Ingredients: 1 whole chicken-5 lbs., 1 stick of butter, 1/4 cup bourbon, 2 small oranges, sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 400*. Wash and pat-dry the chicken. Salt all over, inside and outside.
2. Slice oranges in half and place inside the chicken. Tie legs if desired.
3. Place chicken into a roasting pan or baking dish. Roast for 40 minutes, uncovered.
4. Meanwhile, cut the butter into chunks and melt in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly, until the butter is turning deep brown and bubbling lightly, about 15 minutes.
5. Remove butter from heat and whisk in bourbon. At the 40-minute mark, remove the chicken and pour the brown butter bourbon sauce over it. Return to oven and roast for another 40 minutes, until chicken is browned, and leg juices run clear. Lay a couple slices of orange around the chicken for serving.
Tip: The pan juices can be reduced down in a for a stellar sauce: Whisk juices with a knob of butter, 1 tsp. of corn starch or flour and another splash of bourbon in a skillet pan. Bring to a simmer and whisk until reduced. Strain.