I'll get right to it and say that my last meal will be enchiladas, if I have the tongue control and capacity to swallow--it won't matter if someone is feeding me--I love them so much.
This version uses Queso Fresca cheese instead of Jack or Colby cheese, which doesn't really melt on the top, but puffs and softens...let me say that again. It doesn't melt, guys. IF that is a deal-breaker for you, put it inside and do the jack on the outside. Otherwise proceed with this recipe as-is for some righteously good enchils that kids will love. (This is most likely a fact, given that my supremely picky children ate them.)
If you prefer the super melty effect on the top, place the queso fresca inside the enchils, and jack on the top.
Notes: Chicken is rotisserie.
CHICKEN VERDE QUESO FRESCA ENCHILADAS
Ingredients: 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken, 1 can refried pinto beans, 6 10-inch tortillas, 10 ounces shredded Jack cheese, 8 ounces queso fresca cheese, 1 can verde (green) enchilada sauce, 3 tsp. taco or fajita seasoning, fresh cilantro.
1. Preheat oven to 375* F and spritz a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Warm tortillas between two damp paper towels for 30 seconds in the micro.
3. Spread refried beans over a tortilla. Add a scant 1/2 cup chicken and 1/4 cup jack cheese down the center. Tuck sides, roll up. Place into baking dish seam-side down. Continue with the rest.
4. Pour enchilada sauce over rolled up tortillas. Top with crumbled queso fresca cheese. Cover with foil, making sure foil does not touch the cheese, or it will stick. Bake for 40 minutes.
5. Remove, cool slightly, rain over fresh cilantro, if you like.