All I have to say is that if you are meatless-curious and love tacos, begin here. While I am not entirely meatless in my diet, I do select a few days each week to remove meat. (Many reasons for this, some are based on health, and some are based on philosophy.) What I find is that I enjoy my food just as much, if not better, and don't feel like I missed out--at all.
These tacos are simply delicious, with a smoky and spicy kick that crunches under your teeth from the crusted cauliflower. And you can obviously "do up" your tacos to your preferences; for me, I need melty cheese, guacamole (click here for my favorite recipe), sliced green onion, drippy hot sauce, and cold, cold sour cream...
Recipe can be made gluten-free by using GF tortillas.
Notes: Chipotle powder is Mccormick.
CHIPOTLE-CRUSTED CAULIFLOWER TACOS
Ingredients: 1 head of cauliflower cut into florets (or 3-4 cups of fresh pre-cut florets), 3 tbsp. neutral oil, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1 1/2 tbsp. chipotle powder, six 6-inch corn or flour tortillas, 1 1/2 cups Mexi-blend shredded cheese, 1 cup prepared guacamole, two sliced green onions, sour cream, hot sauce, or salsa.
Makes about six tacos.
1. Preheat the oven to 425*F and set a rack in the middle. Brush a baking sheet with 2 tbsp. of neutral oil. Stir together 1 tbsp. of chipotle powder and Parmesan cheese, sprinkle it in an even layer over the oil.
2. Slice the cauliflower florets in half lengthwise to create a flat side. Place the florets flat-side-down on top of the chipotle parm. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes until florets are fork-tender. Remove the florets from their crust: break the parm crust in places around the florets, then release them firmly with a spatula. Set aside.
3. Brush tortillas with remaining 1 tbsp. of oil. Sprinkle with extra chipotle powder (or taco seasoning if you prefer). Wedge tortillas into a standing position using the spaces between the muffin cups on the bottom of a standard muffin pan. (Flip over a muffin pan, fold tortillas into a taco shape and use the spaces between the cups to hold the tortillas upright.)
4. Spread guacamole on the bottom of the tacos. Add roasted cauliflower and cheese to each one. Place into the oven to melt the cheese, about 4-5 minutes.
5. Finish the tacos with green onion and hot sauce or salsa. Serve immediately.