Just the sentence is all I need....well, almost. I actually need to eat the tacos after I read the title. Now, you know I don't eat pork a lot, but I when I do it is likely pulled and soft, and full of flavor. This recipe is really simple to prepare ahead of time, you set the pork to cook all day in a slow cooker and forget about it. Then assemble the tacos later.
Assembly takes about 5 minutes, the avocado cream, another 5. So we can say 'dinner in 10 minutes!' with this one. Unless you need to make and drink a margi first...in which case, well. More time needed.
"I used flour tortillas in the small size and placed them in between the cups of an upside-down muffin tin. 400* for 10 minutes, and they are perfect. Corn tortillas are yummy too for a gluten-free option."
Notes: Milk used in Avocado Cream is whole milk. You may sub half & half for richness or go lighter with 2% or unsweetened nut milk.
SLOW COOKER PORK TACOS WITH AVOCADO CREAM
Ingredients: 1 pork loin roast-about 2 1/2-3 lbs., 2 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp. pepper, zest of 1 orange, 1 tsp. minced garlic,1/2 tsp. cumin, flour tortillas, 3-4 cups shredded green lettuce, 4 oz. Cotija cheese, 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, 2 green onions-chopped, white and green parts. Avocado cream: 1 avocado, 2 tbsp. neutral oil, 1 tsp. minced garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, juice of 1 lime, 3-4 tbsp. milk.
1. Preheat slow cooker on high.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. While heating, make dry rub: Stir together salt, pepper, orange zest, garlic and cumin. Rub all over pork. Once skillet is hot, add olive oil, wait until it looks glossy. Sear pork for 3-4 minutes on each side. Place pork in slow cooker with fat side up. Turn down to low and cook for 5 hours. (When pork is done it will be tender and very soft.) Shred the meat with two forks, keep slow cooker on warm.
3. Make Avocado Cream: Use a blender or food processor: Scoop in avocado, then add oil, garlic, salt, pepper, lime juice and milk. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
4. Prep lettuce, green onions, cilantro by chopping if needed, set aside for assembly. Crumble Cotija cheese into a bowl.
5. Toast tortillas using my method above or gently warm in the micro for 30 seconds.
6. Build tacos: lettuce, pork, cilantro, onion, avocado cream, Cotija cheese. Eat.
Tip: No time for avocado cream? Slice some avocados and use them with a spritz of lime. Still no time for that? Skip it and go for a verde salsa.