There was a commercial in the 80's showing a woman eating bonbons out of a carton on her bed while wearing an ice blue satin robe. I begged my mom to buy them for me. She said, and I quote, "Oh, how ridiculous. You can make these."
Well, I didn't do it until now, which is sort of funny I guess. But I'm pleased with the recipe- these are really so good - like a deep and rich explosion of nutty, sweet, fruity, chocolatey chewiness. (+ gluten-free!) And because they are intense, eating only one or two is absolutely satisfying for everyone. So you don't need to make fifty.
"If want to do fresh cherries do it! You'll have to pit them and your bonbons will be bigger."
Notes: Peanut Butter is Jif classic creamy. Chocolate chips are Enjoy Life gluten-free mini semi-sweet.
CHOCOLATE COVERED CHERRY PEANUT BUTTER BONBONS
Ingredients: 1/2 cup peanut butter, 2 tbsp. honey, 3/4 cup almond flour, maraschino cherries- stems removed, 10 oz. chocolate chips, 1 tsp. coconut oil, 1/4 tsp. sea salt, 1/4 tsp. almond extract.
Makes about 16
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
2. In a large bowl, beat the peanut butter, honey, almond flour, salt and almond extract until smooth. Chill for 1 hour.
3. Roll peanut butter into 1 1/2 balls, then press in a cherry, covering it with the peanut butter. Re-roll and set on baking sheet.
4. Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil at half-power in 30-second increments until just melted.
5. Dip each ball into the chocolate to cover completely, use a fork to lift out and let some of the chocolate drip off, then set back on baking sheet.
6. Chill for 1 hour. Store in covered container in refrigerator. May be frozen and thawed as well.