Updated: Sep 29
Like a grown-up holiday version of your favorite childhood treat, these bars are fun and yummy. Easy-peasy recipe which you'll see below, and enough pleasant tartness to cleanse your mouth following heavy, holiday meals. Deli-freaking-cious.
"You can double this recipe to use a 9x13 inch dish. I got 16 small bars out of the 8x8.
Notes: Whipped topping is Cool Whip classic. Cranberry sauce is my recipe on this site! Or use Ocean Spray fresh cranberry sauce in the refrigerated section of grocer.
CRANBERRY STARKISS BARS
Ingredients: 24 saltine crackers (most of a packet), 4 tbsp. melted butter, 2 tbsp. sugar, 1/2 tub whipped topping, 1 cup fresh, chunky cranberry sauce, splash of rum, 1-2 tbsp. powdered sugar.
1. Preheat oven to 350* and line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper in one direction.
2. In a food processor blitz the saltines, melted butter, and sugar. (You can also bash the saltines with a wine bottle in a baggie then mix with the butter and sugar.) Press evenly into the bottom of the baking dish. Bake for 5 minutes, remove to cool.
3. Wash out the processor, then blitz the whipped topping, cranberry sauce and rum until smooth. (Or use a blender.) Spread over the cooled crust and freeze for 4 hours.
4. Remove bars from freezer and let stand 5 minutes before lifting from dish and slicing. Sprinkle over powdered sugar, serve immediately.
5. Must be stored in freezer.
Tip: Use the bottom of a glass to press the saltine crumbs firmly into the baking dish.