Updated: Jul 15
The Simplicity of granola is its charm. Perhaps that is why this staple breakfast item has stood the test of time- from quaint pioneer kitchens to today. Or, to quote my late maternal Grandmother Betty-Lou, "Now, why would you ever buy that?"
"You could absolutely use an alternative nut butter here. If have all-nut allergies in your house, just skip it. That's beauty of granola because besides the oats, sweetener and oil, all other ingredients are fair game."
Notes: Oats are rolled, nut mix is almonds, pecans, and peanuts. Chocolate chips are semi-sweet.
DUTCH OVEN PEANUT BUTTER GRANOLA
Ingredients: 3 cups oats, 2/3 cup chopped nuts, 1/3 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup honey, 3 Tbsp. melted coconut oil, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 2 tsp. vanilla, pinch of salt, 1/3 cup chocolate chips.
1. Preheat oven to 300*. Combine oats and nuts in a Dutch oven or oven-proof pot and toast over medium heat until colored and fragrant.
2. Microwave the peanut butter, honey, coconut oil, cinnamon and salt for about 45 seconds, stir to make sure the peanut butter is melted.
3. Add peanut butter mixture to oats, stir to combine well.
4. Place Dutch oven into oven and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10.
5. Remove and cool completely.
6. Add chocolate chips. Store in air-tight container or zip-lock bag up to 1 month.
Tip: Layer with yogurt and fruit in a glass cup or bowl.