A sophisticated take on snickerdoodles. And I like these so much better. Turmeric (good for you) provides a warm, sensually-spiced background to what would normally be just a sugar cookie with cinnamon. Honestly, I am patting myself on the back a bit with this idea and have no problem doing it. Make these cookies!!!
To make cinnamon-sugar, stir together equal parts of both for a spicier version, or 1.5 parts sugar to 1 part cinnamon for a tame version.
Notes: Butter is unsalted.
Ingredients: 1/2 cup softened butter, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 egg at room temperature, 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 1/3 cups flour + 2 tbsp., 1 tsp. cream of tartar, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 2 tbsp. ground turmeric, 1/4 tsp. ground cloves, 1/2 cup cinnamon-sugar.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
1. Preheat oven to 400* and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Cream butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy with stand or hand-held mixer. Add egg and vanilla and continue mixing until creamy.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk flour, cream of tartar, ground cloves, turmeric and baking soda together. Combine flour with wet ingredients until just mixed. Refrigerate dough for 15 minutes.
4. Roll dough into 2-inch balls, rolling each ball in cinnamon-sugar before placing on baking sheet.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, remove to cool. Store in airtight container up to two weeks.