This gorgeous version of my MOON BREAD is sweet, deep, and perfect for slathering with soft butter or toasting and giving a shmear of jam or honey. Too, I adore it as the base for an open-faced, savory sandwich spread like my Curried Chicken Salad or Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad. Can you tell I'm in a homemade-bread-with-sandwich-salad kind of mood? :)
If you want to make a white bread version, use 3 cups of all-purpose flour.
MILK & MAPLE WHEAT NO-KNEAD BREAD
Ingredients: 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt, 1 cup warm milk (110* degrees), 1/2 cup warm water, 3 1/2 tbsp. pure maple syrup, 1/2 tsp. yeast.
Makes one boule.
1. Combine the all-purpose and wheat flour in a large bowl. Add salt to one side and yeast to the other. Stir the maple syrup with the milk and water until it dissolves, and pour it into the bowl. (The milk and water should be roughly 110* F if you have a thermometer.) It feels warmer than lukewarm, but not hot.)
2. Mix the dough well; it will be shaggy and sticky- perfect. Cover the entire bowl with plastic wrap or a clean towel, and place it in a warm spot, like in the oven or a sunny window, for 8-10 hours.
4. Place a Dutch oven or deep, oven-safe vessel with a lid into the oven and preheat at 450* for 30 min. See TIPS below for baking without a Dutch oven.
6. Uncover the dough- it will be expanded, wet, and bubbly. Flour your hands and a surface. Gather the dough to "fall" out of the bowl onto the floured surface or, better, onto a piece of parchment paper. Shape the dough into a basic ball shape.
7. Open the oven and slide out the rack, remove the lid, then place the dough into the Dutch oven, or lift it by the parchment paper and lower it (with the paper) into the Dutch oven. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the lid and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove bread to a board or rack to cool.
Baking this bread without a dutch oven or oven-safe vessel (deep casserole with lid): You can also use a deep stainless steel soup pot (it should be at least 8 inches wide) and cover it with a baking sheet.