You'll knock some socks off with this delicious recipe for soft pork chops smothered in a creamy, cheesy mushroom sauce. It's delightfully filling and rich without being greasy, and it's all done in one skillet.
Notes: Butter is unsalted. Mushrooms are baby bella.
ONE PAN SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS
Ingredients: 4-5 boneless pork chops, 2 tbsp. olive oil, sea salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, 3 tbsp. butter, 3/4 cup chicken broth, 1 cup creme fraiche (or heavy whipping cream), three cloves of minced garlic, 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup shredded Italian blend cheese, 1 tbsp. chopped parsley.
1. Preheat the oven to 375*F.
2. Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a 10-12 inch oven-proof skillet pan over medium-high heat. Pat dry, then season the pork chops on both sides with sea salt, pepper, paprika, and onion powder. Sear the pork chops on both sides for 2-3 minutes, then remove them to a plate.
3. Add the butter to the skillet pan with the minced garlic. Cook until the butter has melted, then add in the mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes until the mushrooms have browned and softened slightly.
4. Push the mushrooms to the perimeter of the pan, making space in the center. Whisk in the sour cream (or heavy cream), chicken broth, and Parmesan cheese, adding in the mushrooms to combine into a sauce. Nestle in the pork chops, spooning over the sauce to coat the tops.
5. Place skillet into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Carefully slide out the skillet pan (wear an oven mitt!) to sprinkle shredded Italian over the chops. Return to the oven to melt the cheese for 4-5 more minutes. Serve immediately with fresh parsley scattered over the top.
1. To prevent curdling, use only creme fraiche or heavy whipping cream. You can try substitute full-fat sour cream, but you do run the risk of it separating if your oven has hot spots or the sour cream is made with lactic acid (this causes curdling.)
2. Serve pork chops over buttered noodles, rice, mashed potatoes, or polenta.