Updated: Mar 20
Oh, have I got a treat for you! Now I love getting ice cream "out" as much as anyone. But there are times when I want to be creative and come up with my own flavor at home. What is nice about that, is making ice cream at home is small-batch. We eat it, enjoy it, and it doesn't sit gathering a crystalline crust in the freezer when we get tired of it. (Every half gallon ever purchased.)
This recipe is extra rich and creamy, you will start with a custard base. So worth it. Get busy!
"Try white chocolate chips in this too."
Notes: Chocolate chunks are Tollhouse semi-sweet.
POMEGRANATE CHOCOLATE CHUNK ICE CREAM
Ingredients: 1/2 cup sugar, 3 egg yolks, 1 cup POM juice, 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 1/2 cup chocolate chunks.
Makes about 3 cups.
1. Freeze ice cream maker base overnight.
2. Heat pomegranate juice over medium heat until warm to the touch. Add in the sugar and whisk until dissolved. Add in the yolks one at a time, whisking vigorously so you do not get scrambled eggs. Transfer to a double boiler. OR place a heat-safe bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
3. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture has thickened and can coat the back of a spoon. Stir in the butter until well combined. Cool.
4. Chill pomegranate custard in the freezer with plastic wrap over and touching the top, for 2 hours.
5. Combine the custard and the cream in your ice cream maker, process for 20-30 minutes. Tumble in the chocolate chunks during the last couple minutes so they don't sink to the bottom.
6. Store in airtight container.
Tip: Recipe can be doubled.